Monday, January 16, 2012

Dresser Renovation - Prep

Found this great old dresser is good condition.

dresser-original

It was exactly the shape I have been looking for, and a good price, so I snapped it up. The plan? Paint it a happy yellow and update the hardware.

dresserreno-01

Started out with filling holes with wood filler and sanding down the all the pieces. My kitties were very good little helpers, of course.

dresserreno-02

Once everything was filled and sanded, new holes need to be drilled, so I broke out some paper and a tape measure. Held the paper against the new hardware and used a nail to poke through where the screws will go. Figured out where it would be centered and measured from the outside left edge to the left hole. Checked that it would be the same from right edge to right hole, and then marked that spot on the tape measure. You can see the pencil mark (just short of 8.5 inches) in the image below.

dresserreno-03

Then I picked a distance from the top edge of the drawer (in this case 3 inches) so that the pulls would be evenly placed on all the drawers. The paper was only used for the figuring out the distances. After that it was all measuring tape and a pencil to mark the spots to drill.

I then used a nail to tap a starter hole where the pencil marks were and then drilled the holes. Sounds like a lot of work, but it was worth it to get the holes perfectly placed and not have to redo anything due to miss-measuring. I did this prior to painting so that if I did mess up, I could fill the holes and redo it without destroying my paint job.

Speaking of paint, the first coat of primer is now on the front of the drawers and drying in my home office. The key to priming/painting is thin, even layers of paint. For this project I used oil-based primer. It will ensure that nothing underneath it will leak through and it sticks super well. It's also perfectly okay to use as base for latex paint.

dresserreno-04

And because I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I used painters tape to mark off the edges where I want the paint to stop.

dresserreno-05

It's too cold in the garage to paint - it needs to be at least 40° F for my primer and 50° F for my paint. Too cold temperatures can affect the adherence of the paint, so always check your paint cans for that info. After I finish the drawers, the frame can be brought in and primed and painted. It's already been sanded. There just isn't room for everything to be done at once. Ideally I'd prefer to be painting in the dining room, but as earlier pictures have proved, my super involved kitties would likely be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment